Visitors the Te Wānanga o Raukawa Pulse have handed the MG Mystics their second straight loss, going up 52 to 47 in round four of the ANZ Premiership at the Trusts Arena in Auckland.

Buoyed by the addition of former Silver Ferns midcourter Claire Kersten as a replacement for the injured Maddy Gordon, the Pulse made a late run in the fourth quarter to maintain their unbeaten record.

Despite the absence of injured goal shooter Grace Nweke, the MG Mystics had a dream start to their second home game of the season, running away to a 10-goal lead at the end of the first quarter.

The new shooting combination of Hannah Glen at goal shooter and Filda Vui at goal attack were quick to silence any doubters putting up an impressive 20 shots in the first quarter, compared to the Pulse’s eight. Glen and Vui took no time at all to find their own chemistry, debuting a much more mobile shooting circle to what Mystics fans are used to and great accuracy from long-range.

Precision feeding from centre Tayla Earle and some nifty footwork from wing attack Peta Toeava opened the shooting circle even further, giving the Mystics an early advantage that would prove difficult to claw back.

A number of unforced errors from the Pulse, including several missed passes, left them struggling to find their rhythm down court.

The story was much the same for the Pulse in the second quarter, with the Mystics’ solid defensive pressure slowing their ball through court.

Pulse goal shooter Amelia Walmsley came up with a surprise intercept in the centre third, only for Peta Toeava to nab an impressive intercept of her own in response.

Silver Ferns goal keeper Kelly Jackson was replaced midway through the quarter by Parris Mason, who combined with Kelea Iongi to make for a mobile defensive end for the Pulse. The pair did well to keep Glen and Vui from getting ball under the hoop, however their accuracy from long-range meant the Mystics were able to maintain a comfortable lead.

Mystics wing defence Michaela Sokolich-Beatson made it a tough night for Pulse wing attack Whitney Souness, whose speed around the circle edge wasn’t enough to escape Sokolich-Beatson’s long reach which produced a stunning intercept to give her side yet another advantage.

The Mystics entered the changing sheds with an 11 goal lead at half-time.

The Pulse looked like a different team when they took the court for the third quarter, scoring 17 goals to the Mystics 10 and drastically reducing the number of unforced errors.

Goal keeper Parris Mason took the court re-energised after the break, getting her hands to plenty of ball and making the Mystics shooters work hard for position.

Mystics goal defence Phoenix Karaka had her own run of turnovers, collecting a great intercept in the centre third and another tip under the goal post. Catherine Hall replaced Carys Stythe at goal keeper and instantly utilised her impressive elevation to put Walmsley’s shot under pressure.

Wing attack Peta Toeava left the court with an injury and the Pulse immediately sensed an opportunity to eat into their deficit further.

The Mystics lost momentum on attack without Toeava’s direction in the shooting third and found it tough to find a way into their shooters.

At three-quarter time the Pulse had closed the gap to within four.

The fourth quarter was a physical contest, with both sides going tit-for-tat with turnovers early on and playing with an added sense of urgency.

Pulse goal defence Parris Mason was a work horse on defence and equally impressive on attack, firing several long balls into Walmsley who found herself alone under the hoop.

Toeava returned to court and made an instant impact, however the Pulse had already claimed the lead for the first time in the match and were careful to convert their opportunities.

With just minutes left on the clock, the Pulse held onto possession, playing the ball around to eat away at the time.

The Pulse came away with the win 52 to 47 to keep their unbeaten streak alive heading into round five.